Stay current with advocacy priorities and opportunities by signing up for the Hunger Fighters e-newsletter. Once a month you will receive news and calls to action about policy that affects hunger.
Advocate for Hunger Relief and Prevention
Food banks play a critical role in ending hunger, but we can’t do it alone. Our food bank strategically engages in advocacy work to raise awareness and mobilize support to end hunger, improve economic security, and promote health and well-being for our community members. This includes informing the public and policymakers about food insecurity, educating them on policies and programs that will improve food access, and encouraging them to partner with us to end hunger.
Public policy has an enormous impact on the amount of resources that our food bank is able to distribute, as well as the amount of assistance needed by members of our community. Ending hunger is not only about providing emergency food to people in need – it also means taking action and organizing to pass public policies and legislation that support our food bank’s long-term strategies to ensure universal access to sufficient, affordable, and nutritious foods.
CalFresh Outreach Reduce stigma, improve public perception, and increase participation in the CalFresh program.
School Meals Outreach Increase awareness, accessibility, and participation in school breakfast, lunch, and summer meal programs.
- Sign up for Advocacy Alerts: The best way to get involved in our advocacy efforts is to sign up for our HungerFighters e-newsletter. We will send you monthly public policy updates and action alerts to keep you informed of the issues and proposed solutions.
- Contact Your Elected Representatives: Policymakers at federal, state, and local levels make important decisions that can have a tangible impact on food access and quality of life in our communities. As a constituent, your voice matters. Let your elected representatives know that ending hunger is a priority and help us educate them on what they can do to relieve it.
- Share Your Story: Our Food Bank works to elevate the voices of community members that rely on our programs and nutrition assistance to make ends meet. Help us ensure that your story is heard by policymakers by telling us about the challenges you have faced in accessing sufficient, affordable, and nutritious foods.
- Participate in a local Listening Session: Share your experience, thoughts and ideas so we can better understand how the Food Bank can be of service. To find out where the next listening session will be held, or to suggest a location, please enter your contact information here and we will be happy to reach out to you!
- Take part in our annual Speaker Series: Each spring we offer workshops to community members who are interested in developing their public speaking skills so they can effectively advocate to end hunger. You can fill out the application anytime of the year; it can be found here.
- Take a stand at Hunger Action Day: Every year in May hundreds of anti-hunger advocates rally in Sacramento to raise awareness of hunger and call on our elected officials to take action. We hope that you will join us next year to raise your voice against hunger!
- California Association of Food Banks
- Food Research and Action Center (FRAC)
- Feeding America
- California Food Policy Advocates (CFPA)
- Western Center on Law and Poverty (WCLP)
- Budget Justice Coalition
- CA4SSI, Californians for SSI
- CHAC, California Hunger Action Coalition
- Closing the Hunger Gap
- Families CAN, Families Coalition for Activity & Nutrition
- FANNS, Food, Ag & Nutrition Network of Solano County
- FESP, Family Economic Security Partnership