Speaker Series Application
What is the Food Bank Speaker Series?
The Speaker Series is an advocacy-training program for community members with lived experience of hunger and for those passionate about food security along with those who are working professionals in the anti-poverty space. Participants of the program learn effective advocacy and public speaking skills while partnering with the Food Bank to create a hunger-free community.
The Speaker Series consists of six weeks of workshops that culminate with participation in California’s Hunger Action Week and a personal meeting with one of our elected officials. The series occurs annually from late March or early April until mid-May.
The Food Bank recognizes the time and efforts of Speaker Series participants and provides the following:
- A $25 grocery gift card for each of the six workshops attended
- Graduates who complete the full series receive a $100 Visa gift card as a thank you for their time, commitment and participation
In order to join, Speaker Series participants must commit to:
- Commit to attending each of the six sessions, we work with all accepted applicants to find a time that works for you.
- Historically, meetings have occurred on a weekday for two hours for six consecutive weeks between late March or early April and mid-May
- Fully participate in group discussions, exercises, and public speaking presentations
- We make every effort to cultivate a respectful environment among the participant cohort to facilitate a space where you can learn, grow, and share your story
APPLICATIONS OPEN THIS FALL
- The application process reopens every fall — please check back soon
- The 2023 Speaker Series will be held virtually, allowing for participants from Contra Costa and Solano counties and throughout the state.
- All applications will receive a response, but space in the program is limited
2023 SPEAKER SERIES APPLICATION