Speaker Series Application
What is the Food Bank Speaker Series?
The Food Bank wants to use its organizational resources and public platform to help our clients and community members build the tools they need to become successful agents of change in their community. The Speaker Series is an advocacy-training program intended to lift up and amplify the voices of real people facing real hunger.
The Speaker Series consists of 6 weeks of workshops and participation in California’s Hunger Action Week:
- Develop public speaking through a curriculum drawn from the internationally recognized Toastmasters techniques
- Learn “Advocacy 101” and how to influence and affect public policy for positive change
- Learn about available resources in the community
- Meet like-minded neighbors who want to fight poverty in our community
The Speaker Series will provide participants with:
- A $25 grocery gift card for each of the 6 workshops attended
- On Hunger Action Week, in early May, virtual meetings with staff or elected officials
- Graduates who complete the full series receive a $100 Visa gift card as a thank you for their time, commitment, and participation
In order to join, Speaker Series participants must commit to:
- Make every effort to attend all workshops (we understand that life happens)
- Fully participate in group discussions, exercises, and public speaking presentations
- Speak publicly about your personal experience with hunger to educate others and call for change
I WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SPEAKER SERIES!
- Turn your adversity into advocacy and help build a community where no one experiences the indignity of hunger
- The 2022 Speaker Series will be held virtually, allowing for participants from Contra Costa and Solano counties and throughout the state.
- All applications will receive a response, but space in the program is limited