How Can I Help?
There are many volunteer opportunities at the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano. With positions to suit almost any interest and time availability, you can volunteer in the front office, warehouse, or in the community. If you belong to a social club, work group or fraternal organization, you can organize a food drive, volunteer as a team in the warehouse, or invite a Food Bank representative to speak to your group.
We need extra hands in many places:
- Do you have weekday mornings available? Volunteers are needed at some East and West Contra Costa locations to bag groceries at our Food Assistance Program sites. We also need help at our Food for Children site in Richmond. Each distribution is held one weekday morning every month. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteers are scheduled to help in our Concord and Fairfield warehouses at various shift times Monday through Saturday. Help is needed bagging or boxing fresh produce and sorting and boxing donated food donations. Volunteers must be at least age 11 with a parent or adult leader and 16 to volunteer on their own.
- Community volunteers are needed to coordinate food drives or help at special events.
- You can help by sharing the extra produce from your garden or fruit from your trees. These donations can be accepted at either warehouse location.
- Collect food by organizing a food drive with your neighbors, your club or your friends at work. It can be as big or small as you like, and experts from the Food Bank are here to help you. For information about organizing a food drive, visit our Food Drive page.
- Community Produce Program sites are held twice a month in 51 locations. Volunteers are currently needed in Antioch, Bay Point, Oakley, Pittsburg, Richmond and Vallejo.
Additional Volunteer Needs
At times the Food Bank has special volunteer projects to offer. Currently, we are looking for:
Bilingual volunteers who are fluent in English and Spanish to help in different areas of the Food Bank
The following distribution sites have a high need for bilingual volunteers:
WIC Richmond (39th & Bissell Ave, Richmond) Every 1st & 3rd Thursday, 2-3pm
Davis Park (1651 Folsom Avenue, San Pablo) Every 2nd & 4th Friday, 12-1pm
Buchanan Park (4150 Harbor St, Pittsburg) Every 1st & 3rd Tuesday, 12-1pm
WIC Concord (2355 Stanwell Circle, Concord) Every 1st & 3rd Wednesday, 2-3pm
Salvation Army KROC Center (586 E. Wigeon Way, Suisun City) Every 1st & 3rd Friday, 12-1pm
Cambridge Elementary (1135 Lacey Lane, Concord) Every 1st & 3rd Saturday, 12-1pm
Antioch High School (700 W. 18th St, Antioch) Every 2nd & 4th Saturday, 10-11am
Nutrition Education Volunteers to help teach clients healthy cooking and eating
When Can I Help?
The Food Bank welcomes your help when it’s most convenient for you. We offer a variety of options to fit your busy schedule.
For more information on volunteering, please contact Sharon Zeppegno at (925) 676-7543 extension 209 or Volunteer Help Desk. Please include your name, phone number with area code, email, city, availability, as well as the type of opportunity you are looking for.
What If I Don’t Have Time to Volunteer?
No time? There is still plenty you can do to help feed the hungry members of our community! Invite us to speak to the next meeting of your social club, work group or fraternal organization. This raises awareness and educates friends and colleagues about hunger in Contra Costa and Solano counties–and what we can do together to end it. To request a Food Bank speaker, please complete the online Food Bank Speaker Request Form.