Sweet potatoes are a great vehicle for creative combinations. This stuffed version is easily customizable. Swap out black beans for kidney beans or garbanzos, add some bell peppers or mushrooms, and go crazy with whatever toppings you have on hand! Cilantro, hot sauce, a squeeze of lime… whatever floats your sweet potato boat!
2 sweet potatoes
⅓ cup onion
¾ cup black beans
¾ cup corn
¾ cup diced tomatoes or salsa
Spices to taste (Salt, pepper, cumin, paprika)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pierce sweet potatoes all over with a fork and bake on foil-lined baking sheet for approximately 45 minutes, until soft.
- Once sweet potatoes are almost done cooking, it’s time to begin preparing the stuffing. Saute onion and garlic on medium heat, until translucent. Add black beans, corn, and any additional veggies of choice. Spice up the flavor to your liking with a dash of salt, pepper, cumin and smoked paprika and continue to cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Once cool enough to handle, slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and mash insides gently with a fork to create a “boat” for the mixture. Divide filling evenly between the sweet potatoes.
- Top with avocado/guacamole, diced tomatoes or salsa, and any additional toppings of choice.
- Tip: Bake a batch of sweet potatoes ahead of time and simply reheat when it’s time to eat. Minus the baking time, this recipe can be thrown together in minutes!