Makes 4 Servings
The saying should definitely be “easy as crisp,” because making a crisp is so much easier than making a pie. No rolling out crust, no making a lattice, and definitely no crimping. It tastes just as good as pie, if not better!
- 1 lb fruit
Peaches, plums, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and apples all work well! Just make sure you cut the larger fruit into about ½ inch pieces. Blueberries and blackberries can be left whole.
- 1/4 cup butter (half a stick), softened and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp other warm spices (ginger, cardamom, nutmeg)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix oats, flour, brown sugar, and spices together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Using your hands or a fork, add the butter, making sure there is little to no dry flour remaining at the bottom of the bowl.
- Split the fruit pieces equally between four small baking containers (ramekins work well for this). Alternatively, you can put all the fruit into a larger baking dish, such as an 8in x 8in metal or ceramic cake pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumble mixture on top, making sure there are no large gaps.
- If using individual baking containers, bake for 45 minutes.
- If using one large vessel, start checking at 35 minutes. The crumble topping should be golden brown and should have spread slightly.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm by itself or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.