What is the Food Bank Speaker Series?
The Food Bank wants to use its organizational resources and public platform to help our clients build the tools they need to become agents of change in their community. The Speaker Series is an advocacy training program intended to amplify the voices of real people facing hunger.
The Speaker Series consists of 9 workshops and 2 days of action to:
- Develop public speaking through the internationally recognized Toastmasters curriculum
- Learn how to influence government and public policy for positive change
- Learn about available resources in the community
- Meet like-minded neighbors who want to fight poverty our community
The Speaker Series will provide participants with:
- A $25 grocery gift card and snacks at each workshop
- Rides to Sacramento, free lunch, and free t-shirts for Hunger Action Day on May, 22nd
- Graduates who complete the full series will receive a $100 Visa gift card as a thank you for their time, commitment, and participation
- 100% of past participants reported that they gained skills that they could apply to other areas of their life, including self-confidence, job interview skills, and resume experience
In order to join, Speaker Series participants must commit to:
- Make every effort to attend all workshops (we understand that life happens)
- Fully participate in group discussions, exercises, and public speaking presentations
- Complete assignments outside meetings (including drafting and practicing speeches)
- Speak publicly about your personal experience with hunger to educate others and call for change
I want to participate in the Speaker Series!
- Turn your adversity into advocacy and help build a community where no one experiences the indignity of hunger
- Submit an application with the button below, and we will reach out to schedule a phone interview
- All applications will receive a response, but space in the program is limited
I want to support the Speaker Series!
- You will help community members experiencing hunger find their voice and travel to Sacramento to speak their minds
- Your generous support helps cover the cost of food, mileage, and supplies to ensure that this program is 100% free for participants
- By funding grassroots advocacy you are helping to fight hunger today and prevent it tomorrow