What is the Food Bank Speaker Series?
The Food Bank wants to use its organizational resources and public platform to help our clients and community members build the tools they need to become successful agents of change in their community. The Speaker Series is an advocacy-training program intended to lift up and amplify the voices of real people facing real hunger.
The Speaker Series consists of 9 workshops and 2 days of action to:
- Develop public speaking through a curriculum drawn from the internationally recognized Toastmasters techniques
- Learn “Advocacy 101” and how to influence and affect public policy for positive change
- Learn about available resources in the community
- Meet like-minded neighbors who want to fight poverty in our community
The Speaker Series will provide participants with:
- A $25 grocery gift card and snacks at each of the 9 workshops
- On Hunger Action Day, Wednesday May 6th 2020: transportation to and from Sacramento, a free lunch, and meetings with staff or elected officials
- Graduates who complete the full series receive a $100 Visa gift card as a thank you for their time, commitment, and participation
- 100% of past participants reported that they gained skills that they could apply to other areas of their life, including increased self-confidence, job interview skills, and resume experience
In order to join, Speaker Series participants must commit to:
- Make every effort to attend all workshops (we understand that life happens)
- Fully participate in group discussions, exercises, and public speaking presentations
- Complete assignments outside meetings (including drafting and practicing speeches)
- Speak publicly about your personal experience with hunger to educate others and call for change
I want to participate in the Speaker Series!
- Turn your adversity into advocacy and help build a community where no one experiences the indignity of hunger
- The 2020 Speaker Series will be in Solano County. Check back in December for more details on how to apply for the 2020 Speaker Series.
- All applications will receive a response, but space in the program is limited
THE 2020 APPLICATION PERIOD IS CLOSED.
I want to support the Speaker Series!
- Your support will help community members who currently experience hunger to find their voice and travel to Sacramento to speak their minds
- Your generous support helps cover the cost of food, mileage, and supplies to ensure that this program is 100% free for participants
- By funding grassroots advocacy you will help fight hunger now and prevent it in the future