Fresh! Flavorful! Tangy! Creamy! Those are just some of the words you can use to describe Tom Kha Gai otherwise known as Thai Chicken Coconut Soup But, you very well might just call it ‘my new favorite soup’ after trying this recipe!
1 TBSP coconut oil (other cooking oils are okay)
3 cans coconut milk
3 cups chicken broth
Approximately 1-½ TSP fresh minced lemongrass
Approximately ½ TSP fresh minced ginger
2 large chicken breasts cooked and cut up
2 cups sliced mushrooms
¼ fresh lime juice (don’t be shy)
1 medium onion; sliced into 1-½ inch slices
3 TBSP fish sauce (Thai or Vietnamese)
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP Thai chili paste
Cilantro for garnish (optional)
Cooked rice of your liking (optional)
Salt to taste
- Sauté onion in oil in a medium to large saucepan.
- Add coconut milk. chicken broth, lemongrass, ginger and mushrooms; stir.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and add cooked chicken*
- Stir in lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, Thai chili paste
- Serve when hot; spoon into 4 bowls (you may still have leftovers)
- Add ¼ to ⅓ cup of cooked rice each bowl of soup.
- Top with optional cilantro and salt to taste.
*Boiled, rotisserie or grilled chicken all work. It’s a great way to use up leftovers!
This is a forgiving recipe, so make it to your liking. To make a spicy version, add red jalapeno slices when sautéing the onion. If you like it extra tangy, add more lime juice. Feel free to substitute the chicken for another protein.