Think outside of the granola bar box and see how easy making your own treats can be! Just combine six ingredients and voila, you have a magnificent morning boost or powerful afternoon pick-me-up. These soft-yet-crunchy bars are quite hearty, so a little goes a long way! Kids will love the chance to help make this healthy treat!
- 2 cups plain shredded wheat cereal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup dried fruit of your choice
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Break up cereal into small chunks and add to a large bowl.
- Mix in the oats and dried fruit.
- Place the peanut butter, maple syrup and coconut oil in a microwave-safe container; microwave for about 30 seconds until melted and smooth.
- Stir the melted peanut butter mixture into the cereal mixture and mix thoroughly until well coated.
- Add the mixture to a square baking dish lined with parchment paper, and use a rubber spatula to press down and flatten the top.
- Freeze for at least one hour to harden and then cut into 8 bars.
- Wrap in parchment or wax paper.
- Keep stored in the refrigerator.