Immediately after the North Bay Area fires started, the Food Bank activated its coordinated disaster relief plan with food banks in the Bay Area. The strength of our partnerships allowed us to immediately mobilize, providing affected food banks with truckloads of donated food, staff support, media outreach assistance, and other resources.
Now we are going in to the long term response. We will work with our partner food banks for their efforts to help people reconstruct their lives. Here’s an update on recent help we have provided:
Napa Valley Food Bank
- We are boxing 500+ disaster boxes including canned fruit, vegetables, aseptic packed milk, ravioli, peanut butter, tuna, etc. These boxes will be distributed in Calistoga on Friday October 20.
- We are providing Napa a pallet of beans, rice, ravioli, etc. to replenish food pantries depleted by disaster victims.
- We continue to receive local donations that we are storing until the Napa Valley Food Bank has the space to accept the donations.
Yuba Sutter Food Bank
- We provided purchased food to the Yuba/Sutter Food Bank for a distribution they are holding on Saturday, October 21 for 114 families who lost their homes.
- We are planning additional distributions they can provide to other areas affected by the wildfires.
The community has come together to support our efforts in an incredible way. We are able to provide all of this support to help our partner food banks thanks to the support from local business and community members.
Shell Martinez Refinery has made a significant donation to help us provide food and cover our operating costs for the work we have done and the work we will do to ensure food and assistance gets where it is needed. We are of course very pleased and appreciative, but not at all surprised that Shell Martinez employees wanted to help.
We also received support from Chevron, Travis Credit Union, PG&E and Andeavor (formerly Tesoro).
We are grateful to be able to continue our daily service locally as well as help where it is needed in nearby areas.
Thank you for caring for our community. Our thoughts are with all the victims and especially our friends and colleagues who were affected by these fires.