Volunteers and Interns Needed for the CalFresh Outreach Volunteer Program!
The Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano works to help people apply for CalFresh (formerly Food Stamps), which helps recipients have access to more healthy foods for themselves and their families. Since there are many who are eligible but who are not on the program, we are recruiting volunteers/interns to help expand our outreach efforts. As a volunteer or intern, you will be able to provide an explanation of the program, discuss eligibility requirements, dispel common myths and assist in signing people up at various outreach sites. There is also some office work possible including follow-up/reminder calls, with a potential for increased responsibility based on capacity and commitment to the program.
Volunteers/interns who join the program will be expected to volunteer for at least one shift per month (these are usually between 1.5 and 3 hours). Shifts vary by day but are typically in the mornings/afternoons on weekdays (though times vary based on the event).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Volunteers and interns who join the outreach team will be expected to:
– Attend an initial orientation/training session
– Understand and be able to explain misconceptions, fears, and myths about CalFresh
– Attend Food Bank distributions and community events to assist with the CalFresh application process
– Attend additional ongoing trainings at the Food Bank (at least one per year)
– Maintain client confidentiality
– Interest in issues of hunger/food security
– Ability to work well with others including Food Bank staff and volunteers
– Ability to perform direct outreach services
– Ability and willingness to work with diverse communities
– Bilingual preferred
– Good verbal communication skills
– Basic computer skills a plus
– Ability to commit to at least 20 hours over the course of one year
– Availability during weekdays a plus
Interested in volunteering or learning more about the program?
Start by completing the CalFresh Outreach Volunteer Program Interest Form below or contact Heidi Kleiner with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.