Here are some facts about the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano that we hope you will find useful and share in the community on our behalf.
FOOD BANK FACTS:
- Approximately 188,000 people served each month.
- Over 20 million pounds of food distributed; enough for more than 16 million meals.
- More than half of the food distributed was fresh produce.
- 96 cents of every dollar donated goes directly to food programs.
- 1 in 4 people receiving emergency food are children.
- 1 in 3 people served had to choose between paying for food and paying their rent or mortgage.
- 86.5% of clients served had income below 130% of the federal poverty level. (That’s less than $ 2,422 a month for a family of four.)
- Every dollar donated provides the equivalent of two healthy meals.
- Nearly 58 percent of low-income residents in Contra Costa County were food insecure in 2009, California Food Policy Advocates and the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research report. Was 16 percent two years earlier.
If you have questions or would like more information about education and outreach, please contact Outreach, email@example.com or call 1-855-309-3663 (FOOD).