With unemployment remaining at 9 percent in the San Francisco Bay Area, the demand for food assistance continues to increase. Bay Area Food Banks, a collaboration of eight local food banks serving 11 northern California counties, are serving the needs of more than 600,000 Bay Area residents each month. To continue to meet the needs at this scale, they look to the community for support. You can help! ABC7 ‘s Share Your Holiday Food Drive, benefitting Bay Area Food Banks, launches bright and early on Thursday, December 15 with the goal of raising $100,000 during the daylong event.
“We know that many Bay Area families have been affected by the downturn of the economy, and we want to do our part to help support the local Food Banks. We are hopeful our generous ABC7 viewers will come together and support their local food bank and help feed hungry families this holiday season,” said William Burton, ABC7 President and General Manager.
On December 15 , starting at 5:30 a.m., ABC7 will be asking viewers to make a donation to their local food bank using one of these 7 Ways To Give:
- Donate to your local food bank online at www.abc7news.com
- Text FEED to 80077 to donate $10
- Mail your check made payable to “Food Bank” to ABC7 Food Drive, 900 Front Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
- Call in your donation in to 800-515-1719 – Volunteers will be on hand to take your donation
- Find your local food bank on Facebook and “like” their page to stay updated on how you can get involved
- Drop off a donation of non-perishable food items to the live food drive location at Alameda County Community Food Bank or at your local food bank
- Schedule time to volunteer at your local food bank. Volunteers are needed throughout the year!
“We are truly grateful to ABC7 for the time, hard work and energy they have given to support the Bay Area Food Banks,” said Larry Sly, executive director of the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano. “The financial support food banks receive from the community is a critical part of our work. You can make a difference by giving to the ABC7 Share Your Holiday Food Drive and working together to help our neighbors in need. ”
Tune into ABC7 on December 15 for inspiring stories from people who have supported Bay Area Food Banks and from people who are in need of assistance now. By using the ABC7 – 7 Ways To Give, you can help provide food assistance that will go to families facing hunger this holiday season and throughout the year.